You are in: Home > News & Offers > Autumn Health Risks

Autumn Health Risks

Autumn Health Risks

Conkers

Conkers, the seeds of the Horse Chestnut tree (Aesculus hippocastanum) can pose a risk of poisoning if eaten.

Serious cases of poisoning of dogs are rare but do occur.  Conkers contain a poison called aesculin, which is found in all parts of the tree including the leaves. For toxicity to occur dogs normally need to eat a number of conkers.

Signs of poisoning may be seen 1-6 hours after ingestion but can be seen for up to 2 days .

Symptoms include vomiting (which may contain blood), diarrhoea, salivation, abdominal pain, increased drinking and a reduced appetite. Signs of restlessness, ataxia (wobbliness) and muscle tremors may also be seen.

If your dog has eaten conkers please call us on 01525 373329 for advice as soon as possible.

Are you a Paws Club member?

* Free annual vaccinations

* Save 10% on your vet bills

* Save 10% on food purchases

Paws Club details