Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease and Myxomatosis
Myxomatosis and RHD1 Vaccine
- Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease are fatal viral diseases to rabbits only.
- Myxi and RHD1 and 2 vaccines should be given annually*. Please protect your bunnies.
We continue to stock a vaccine against RHD2 (Filavac VHD K C+V). This now has a UK licence.
In consultation with the RWAF we recommend that all rabbits are protected against RHD2 by vaccination annually unless rabbits are in a high risk environment (every 6 months)*.
Please call 01525 373329 for advice.
1) Does this replace my rabbit’s previous vaccine
No. Rabbits will continue to need their original annual vaccination as the RHD2 vaccine has no protection against Myxomatosis.
2) OK. Can i have the 2 vaccines on the same day?
No. Please note that the 2 vaccines cannot be given at the same time – there must be a minimum of a 2 week gap between them.
3) How old does my bunny need to be for vaccines?
We recommend over 8 weeks for Myxomatosis and over 10 weeks for the RHD2 vaccine. Please talk to us if your bunny is younger than this.
(If you would like to be kept up to date with any new information about Rabbit Health please sign up to our newsletter and ensure you tick ‘rabbits’ when you are asked your interests)
More about Rabbit Health